Campervan & Motorhome Hire | 0208 573 2300 (UK) or +44 208 573 2300 (overseas) or email

Hit enter to search or ESC to close

14 January, 2021 - Updated Last updated on
14 March, 2022

Posted by Spaceships Crew

The United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on January 1st 2021. Here's all you need to know about travelling in the EU now.

With Spaceships motorhome or campervan hire you can visit the UK or Europe, or both on the same #spaceshipsroadtrip!

Following the UK's departure from the EU, some of the rules on visiting Europe have changed. In this blog, we'll help you to get ready for take-off to Europe in your Spaceship.

Did you know...

All Spaceships campervan hire and motorhome rentals are available with unlimited mileage for up to 4 named drivers over 21 throughout the UK & Europe

Explore Europe in Spaceship2

Get ready to take-off to Europe in your Spaceship!

Check your Passport

You will need a valid passport to travel into the EU. On the day you travel, you will need at least 6 months before your passport expires. In addition, your passport must be less than 10 years old even if it still has 6 months or more left. This is also a requirement to travel to Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Iceland, which are not EU member states. For travel into Ireland, you can still use your existing passport providing it is valid for the length of your stay.

Driving in the EU

You'll need a valid driving licence and Green Card. This is an International Motor Insurance Certificate (IMIC) that proves you have adequate motor insurance cover. You will need to show this in the event of an accident. You'll also need to display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle.

Don't worry though, when you hire a Spaceships campervan or motorhome, we'll take care of everything for you. All your documents will be in the glovebox and your GB sticker will be on the back of the vehicle.

Did you know...

Spaceships offer a European Travel Bundle with Sat Nav, headlamp converters, a VoH Certificate and EU power adapter which are required for travel in the EU

Travel and Health Insurance

It's worth checking that you are covered for any medical costs you might incur on your road trip. The existing European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid until its expiry date. When it expires, it will be replaced by a new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). We would recommend taking out appropriate travel insurance in addition to your EHIC or GHIC.

Check that any travel insurance you take out covers you for medical expenses and if necessary, return to the UK. If you are planning to travel to Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Norway or Iceland, you will need travel insurance for healthcare cover for those countries. EU nationals living in the UK can apply for a new EHIC they can continue to use after January 2021.

Spaceships Motorhome Europe

Touch down in Europe in your Spaceship!

Visiting the EU

You can visit the EU for up to 90 days without a visa. The new rules allow you to stay in the EU for 90 out of 180 days. Your days begin as soon as you enter the EU, for example after your ferry or Eurotunnel crossing. 

Different rules apply in Croatia, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania. If you visit these countries, your time there does not count towards the 90-day total.

Get Pet Ready!

Spaceships has a dog friendly campervan and motorhome fleet, meaning you can take your the whole family with you on a Spaceships road trip. The rules for taking pets into the EU have changed and your existing pet passport is no longer valid. 

A dog in a Spaceships Campervan

Take the whole family on your European Spaceships road trip!

To take your pet into the EU, you now need an Animal Health Certificate (AHC). You can get this from an Official Vet (OV). If your own vet is not an OV, they will be able to recommend one. Please allow at least a month for the application process. This will give you the time to make sure your pet is microchipped and has all the relevant vaccinations. Your pet's AHC will be valid for travel within 10 days of its issue date and for travel in the EU for up to 4 months. Find out more about taking your dog in a Spaceship here.

Food & Drink

Post Brexit, you can no longer take meat or milk products or food containing meat or milk into the EU. There were reports of lorry drivers having their ham sandwiches confiscated on entering The Netherlands, so be prepared to buy your snacks when you get there. The only exceptions to this rule are baby food and milk and some pet foods that are required for medical reasons.

Duty free sales

Duty Free sales in the EU will also end and there will be a limit on the amount of tobacco, alcohol and other goods for personal use you can bring back to the UK. If you exceed this limit you could be liable to pay the duty on returning to the UK.

The limits include a maximum of 42 litres of beer and 18 litres or 24 bottles of wine. For tobacco, your limit is 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars. You are also limited to £390 of luxury goods like perfume or clothing. You can see the full duty free limits here.

Check your roaming charges

Check roaming charges with your mobile phone network. The law protects you from being charged more than £45, but after you have used £45 of data, you will be asked to opt-in to a new plan to use mobile data in Europe. Check data charges with your provider before you travel and use free Wi-Fi in campsites, coffee shops and bars so you avoid mobile data charges. Use our Campsite Finder to plan your Euro road trip.

Get ready to take-off to Europe in your Spaceship!

The UK Government has produced a useful Brexit Checker where you complete various details about your planned visit to get a personal check list before you travel.  So, you have all you need to know about travelling in the EU now. All that's left to do is choose your Spaceship and prepare to blast-off on a European Spaceships road trip!

Get an online quote

Compare our campervans & motorhomes